About SuperLock 4.0 Lite
Welcome to SuperLock 4.0 Lite!
SuperLock is the premier shareware Macintosh security utility. It has been protecting Macs from casual snoopers since 1993, and it protected Macs for two years before that as a program called MacLauncher (which still works properly on the latest Macs!). It can be found on Macs all over the world belonging to students, teachers, governments, and normal, everyday people.
SuperLock 4.0 Lite is a slimmed-down version of SuperLock 4.0 Pro. Whereas SuperLock Pro is intended for settings like school labs where multiple people access one machine, SuperLock Lite is for Macs which are primarily used by only one or two people, or by small groups of people (e.g., a family) that don't mind sharing passwords amongst each other. It is also suitable for environments where the administrator allows users to protect their machines, but still needs to be able to access those machines without chasing down their owners to get a password.
SuperLock Lite has provisions for either one or two users. In the case of two users, one is the Normal User and one is the Admin User. A single user assumes the role of the Admin User. Each user has his or her own associated name and password combination which is used to gain access to the Mac through SuperLock.
SuperLock Lite's security features are as follows:
- Disables force-quitting of itself (registered version only).
- Can optionally limit the number of login attempts a person can make, and force an emergency shutdown when that count is exceeded. When this happens, SuperLock Lite will warn of the occurrance at the next valid login.
- Can optionally maintain an activity log, including valid logins, invalid login attempts, and forced shutdowns.
- Hides the desktop and all other applications' windows on all screens while it's running, so that people can't view your work-in-progress without logging in.
- Cannot be bypassed on startup by holding down the shift key.
- Supports two users, one of which can change the other's name and password. This allows the Mac's owner to grant someone else access without compromising their own login information.
Other features of SuperLock Lite include:
- Customizable message displayed in login dialog.
- Ability to reset and export the log from within SuperLock Lite.
- Uses Navigation Services when available.
About This Documentation
This documentation assumes familiarity with basic Macintosh terminology and usage conventions such as clicking, dragging, and the standard use of dialog boxes. If you are not comfortable with these concepts, please consult the documentation that came with your computer.